First Chief Engineer, Controls Technology Research
Winnersh, United Kingdom
We are looking for a Chief Controls Technology Research Engineer who will be based in the south of England. Our Controls Technology Research Leader will be primarily responsible for delivering new technologies/applications in order to drive our strategy through innovation and collaborative research, to maintain a competitive edge and to meet the current industry challenges, such as the need for subsea systems to be more robust and reliable whilst reducing weight and cost.
We are searching for an accomplished Scientist/Engineer to work on real world subsea controls engineering problems. Typical application areas for this role are: All electric controls; Communications; Energy systems; Data Innovation; Artificial intelligence; and Internet of Things.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Validation of roadmaps, concepts, technology maturity level assessments;
- Drive innovation – point of contact for collecting and prioritizing new ideas and concepts;
- Explore opportunities with new platforms and products developed by others to demonstrate possibilities and contribute to the future direction of product solutions;
- Communicate and liaise with company-wide product & technology development groups, ensuring Controls Products strategy is aligned;
- Support & drive the product strategy working with the Product Managers to ensure future technology research areas are aligned;
- Technical liaison with customer organisations to identify, develop and transfer new technology needs;
- Participate in technology networks, both internal and external, to build links, identify opportunities and create and present technical papers which enhance the profile of Aker Solutions.
Qualifications and Personal Qualities
Knowledge, skills & experience required:
- Control Systems market knowledge covering Electro Hydraulic and All Electric;
- Subsea Control System industry Technology trends;
- Product and technology market knowledge;
- Subsea electrical technology within an R&D environment;
- Substantial experience from oil & gas technologies and products;
- Broad experience and understanding of technology and engineering practice of relevant product areas on both system and detail;
- International exposure;
- Track record in innovation and technology/product development;
- A proven track record in the development, delivery and support of Controls equipment in Subsea Production Systems;
- Evidence of regular technical publications;
- Excellent industry/customer network;
- Change-friendly leadership style.
- MSc and an engineering degree in an Electrical/Electronic related subject preferred;
- An MBA and evidence of business acumen favourable;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Open mind for new ideas;
- International mentality;
- Genuine team player;
- Ability to develop relationships with customers and suppliers;
- Able to work effectively under pressure;
- Ability to manage many complex projects.