(Senior) Sustainability Officer
EDFI Management Company N.V./S.A.
Incorporated in 2016 by the association of 15 European Development Finance Institutions and funded by the European Commission, the EDFI Management Company manages ElectriFI, the Electrification Financing Initiative (www.electrifi.org) out of their offices in Brussels.
At this moment, EDFIMC has a team of ten people, of which six work full time on ElectriFI transactions. Based on new funding secured, they seek to expand this team with a few (senior) Investment Managers. To strengthen the wider team, they will also hire a full time (Senior) Legal Counsel plus a full time (Senior) Sustainability Officer.
ElectriFI finances and supports companies in emerging markets, that provide new and improved access to electricity by utilizing renewable energy sources with a particular emphasis on decentralized energy solutions. ElectriFI invests in the form of (near) equity, (subordinated) debt or guarantee structures. Financing ranges from EUR 500k to EUR 10mln per client. Funding is mainly for early stage investment financing whereby additionality to other funders and return alignment with other investors is pursued.
The example of ElectriFI, early stage and high risk financing to promising ventures, will be copied to the agriculture space. The European Commission intends to avail funding to the benefit smallholders and value chain players in the agriculture sector. To that extent, EDFIMC intends to also set up an agriculture team by early 2018.
Evaluate Environmental & Social (E&S) issues and requirements for investment proposals and the existing portfolio, measure and monitor the impact of ElectriFI investee companies as per European Commission (EC) expectations and prepare the reporting and communications in order to help investee improve their impact on environment, social and economic issues.
Key Result Areas
- Support the team with due diligence of potential transactions as well as with other E&S/technical documentation, drafting of investment paper comments, and assisting in negotiating E&S conditions, in order to assess the impact and E&S risks of investment proposals, place them in the appropriate risk category and ensure that E&S conditions are added to the contracts;
- Make recommendations based on the analysis of impact and E&S risks of current projects and ensure the follow up of their implementation in order to support investees in their compliance of E&S and impact requirements;
- Monitor the portfolio, specifically from an E&S perspective, in order to ensure that there is a portfolio balance among the levels of risks of the different projects in the portfolio and that the appropriate resources are allocated according to the level of risks of each project;
- Managing E&S and impact databases, filing and file management systems, including the development of a global risk map for E&S monitoring (covering legacy and current transactions) and the regular update of the impact database in order to facilitate E&S and impact monitoring;
- Monitor and continuously improve (ex ante) impact measurement tools in order to increase the efficiency and efficacy of the monitoring;
- Exchange information and coordinate with other agencies when necessary in order to gain more information and best practices;
- Provide regular reporting and communication on E&S and the global impact of the ElectriFI portfolio in order to keep the European Commission, the clients and all other relevant stakeholders informed of the impact of ElectriFI deals and portfolio.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Energy Management, Social Sciences (including specifically Sociology or Anthropology), or similar, with a preference for Environmental or Social Development Studies;
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of professional experience within development finance, environmental consulting, banking or the investment/consulting industry;
- Proven experience in an E&S/sustainability/SRI-related field is a requirement;
- Experience in developing countries;
- Experience in the energy and agriculture sectors.
Skills & Competencies
- Self-starter, creative, pragmatic, result oriented;
- Strong client relationship, communication, and project management skills;
- Communications and writing skills in English is required;
- Proficiency in other languages (French, Spanish) is an asset;
- Multi-cultural sensitivity.
What we offer
- A dynamic, multi-cultural working environment in a rapidly growing asset management firm;
- Permanent contract with a competitive salary;
- Located full time in Brussels;
- Frequent travelling will contribute to the success in this role.
How to apply
Applications are treated exclusively and in confidence by EARS – European Affairs Recruitment Specialists. To apply please send your CV and Cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating in the subject line “EDFI – Sustainability Officer”. The cover letter shall clearly outline your motivation and availability. Deadline for applications is 30th of August 2017.