Sr. Startup Engineer, Electrical/I&C, Olkiluto Unit 3
Position is seconded to the Owner to help plan, manage and integrate the commissioning activities at the first new nuclear power plant in Finland in over 20 years. Will help to plan and integrate commissioning of electrical and I&C systems. (Commissioning will be performed by EPC contractor (Areva) and its multi-national subcontractors). Work may involve the evaluation, selection, application, adaptation, and modification of standard techniques, guidelines, procedures, and criteria. Will advise and help refine approaches to startup, maintenance, operation, or testing.
Helps to plan, coordinate. and manage commissioning activities (by others) requiring judgment and experience in the application and substantial adaptation of operations and startup techniques. Assists in developing and evaluating approaches to operations problems. On behalf of the Owner, provides startup, maintenance, operation or testing guidance to EPC contractor. Requires experience, demonstrated skill, effective communication skills and a broad knowledge of precedents in the industry.
Principle responsibilities on behalf of the Owner include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluates plans, schedules and criteria for electrical and I&C testing;
- Reviews new or special regulations, codes, standards, criteria, and performance data relating to commissioning activities;
- Provides technical advice and counsel to Owner and EPC contractor;
- Provides input for and audits special technical educational and training programs as directed;
- Performs field consulting services as required;
- Performs special projects as assigned;
- Applies specialized knowledge of startup methods to assist in the solution of specific problems;
- Provides recommendations for the resolution of technical questions arising in the area of specialty;
- Uses advanced startup engineering techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of related sciences and disciplines.
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited university in Engineering or related field and 13 years related experience in startup, nuclear power facility experience, or similar;
- Iin lieu of a formal degree, 19 years of related experience to include Startup, nuclear power facility experience, or similar.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check which includes verification of employment and education. Will ne security screened for unescorted access to nuclear power facility in Finland;
- In-depth knowledge in the areas of Electrical and I&C systems operations, and knowledge of principles and practices related to power plant operation;
- Good knowledge of related construction and engineering practices and the economics involved;
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria;
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Previous experience and knowledge of Bechtel Startup procedures, programs, and processes;
- Previous experience as a Bechtel Startup (Commissioning) Engineer scheduling and performing system checkout and operation;
- Previous commercial nuclear power experience;
- International startup experience in a multi-cultural environment;
- Moderate language skills in French and/or Finnish.